Thursday, February 10, 2011

So Cold!

I do not like the cold weather. Johnny learned early on while we were dating, that you don't talk to me when I'm cold. I much prefer a Texas summer day, heat and all, to these cold days we've been having. And yes, I will still feel this way this summer when I'm at a swim meet with the kids.

Yesterday morning, I had some errands to run. It was 46 degrees outside, horribly cold, but still manageable for the short amount of time I was going to be out. We came back home, and went about our day. I didn't check the weather during this time. Chess club was that afternoon, and as we are walking out, I remind the kids to get their jackets, and put one on Madison. We walk out and are hit with a blast of cold air that feels much more uncomfortable than it did at 10:00 that morning. I run back in and get Madison's heavier coat, and suggest to the boys that they get theirs. But I didn't take the time to get my heavier jacket. I was in a hurry and didn't wan't to take that extra few seconds to grab it. That cost me big time because now I wasn't prepared. The jacket I had on, while cutting the chill a bit, wasn't going to provide the protection from the cold that my bigger one would. Where else in my life do I take shortcuts? I have the opportunity each morning to meet with God, read His Word and receive the nourishment that will sustain me for the rest of my day. I can rush through that time, but might miss something important that He wants me to know. Taking my time will give me the protection of my "bigger coat". May I take that time each day to be prepared for whatever the world will bring.

No comments: