Saturday, May 19, 2012

Swim Season Has Begun!

Yes, another season of daily practices and early morning Saturday meets! This year, Justin is my only swimmer, Ryan decided not to join, and Madison is still in the playing in the pool stage, not quite ready to swim. But Justin is loving it! He never met a sport that he didn't like. We were remembering his days of soccer when he was 3. He spent most of his time in the opposing team's goal, talking to their goalie and coach. I never knew what he was saying, but the coaches were always smiling. That is my Justin, along with the competition, he loves being with people. Anyway, back to swimming. Last week was the Time Trials, where we are just swimming with our own team in order to establish times for the first meet. Justin did well, and established some good times. But wow, this week he really turned it on, I saw improvement in all his times. Because this week was for real, it was real competition between swimmers, not just getting a time. I could see him striving to do his best, to give it all. I was then struck with the realization, that sometimes, I treat life as a "Time Trial", just going along, not giving it all I have, instead of striving to do my very best. But what if I treated everyday as a day to go that extra mile, to a little bit more, make more of an effort, to choose what is not just better, but what is best? Yes, it is a lot more work. It would be so easy to coast along everyday. But, at the end of the day, do I want to look back and realize that I did just enough to get by? No, I want to look back and see that I pushed past what I thought I could do, and achieved more than I thought possible. Justin can do that in swimming by going to practice, listening to the coaches, etc. I have a Coach as well, and I can meet Him each morning before I start my day, and He is with me through everything I do, everywhere I go. Just as Justin's coaches encourage him, teach him and even get him back on track when he gets distracted, so does my Coach! I'm so glad I'm on God's Team!

No comments: