Friday, May 4, 2012

My Own Backyard

One of my favorite movies from my childhood is The Wizard of Oz. At the end of the movie, Dorothy proclaims that when she is looking for something, she won't go farther than her own backyard. That line has come to me recently as I see my friends and groups from my church going on Mission Trips. Some of these are within the state of Texas, some are in the United States, and some are even in other countries. They do VBS, Sports Camps, Eye Clinics, Music Ministry, and Women's Ministry, just to name a few. But all of these have one common goal: To share the gospel with others. As I look at all these opportunities, I can easily get discouraged, feeling that I can't make an impact for Christ if I'm not doing these trips. But what God has shown me, is that I can do things for Him even in my own home and community. My mission field can be my church, my homeschooling community, my parents, and, most importantly, my husband and children. My season in life has me at home, with my family, and that is okay. My church gives me the opportunity to work with preschoolers and their families on Sunday mornings, help with Vacation Bible School and Creative Arts Camp. I am blessed to have my parents living close, so I am available to help them, as they have done for me so often. And my home: I can create a home that welcomes God, teach my children about the Gospel and watch them grow in their faith. They can see me living out my faith as I work in my home, caring for them and Johnny. So many opportunities right here in my own backyard! God has a place for everyone: some will travel far to reach others for Christ, and I'm so blessed to have those people in my life, to hear their stories, they are such an encouragement to me. And maybe, someday, I might be alongside them on one of those trips. Or maybe I won't, maybe my children will one day, maybe I'm building that foundation in them, so one day, they can go share with others. So, wherever God has you, take advantage of every opportunity to encourage someone in the relationship with Christ!

No comments: