Monday, May 7, 2012

Memorizing Scripture

The message at my church yesterday was about memorizing scripture. I've always thought that you memorize scripture, so you can have something to help you or a friend or family member through a tough time, for encouragement. I always looked for verses that spoke to a particular issue I was having and worked on memorizing it so I would have something to call to mind when I needed that extra boost. But I also now realize, that sometimes it isn't just a certain scripture that is needed, it is just scripture. Anything that can take my mind out of that downward spiral of defeat: my school day with my children didn't go well, my house is a mess, I argued with Johnny - all of those have the potential to take my mind off of God and place it on myself. But what if my mind was filled with scripture, any scripture, that would take my thoughts off of myself, and put them back on God? I realized that sometimes, in my desire to find the "perfect" scripture, I forget that ALL scripture is useful: 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 2 Timothy 3:15-17 So even if I don't have something that speaks to my issue at the moment, there is much to be gained by being able to recall God's Word, if only to get my mind back on that which is most important: God! So yes, it is important to have those specific scriptures that will speak encouragement into my life and the lives of others. But I must not get discouraged when what I consider the "right" verse doesn't come to mind, if I've been diligent in reading and memorizing God's word, whatever He brings to mind will be a blessing!

No comments: