Friday, July 22, 2011

A Year of Firsts

I remember when my children were babies, their "firsts" were so exciting: first words, first steps, first teeth. This year, will be a different kind of firsts for me, first holidays, special times, without my sister.

I had one of those this past week - our birthdays. Brenda's birthday is July 16th, mine is July 20th. As children, my mom would also plan elaborate parties for both of us separately. As the mom of two close in age, with birthdays 4 days apart, I now have a new appreciation for what she did. But as adults, we would always celebrate together.

So this was the first year to celebrate my birthday, and Brenda's birthday, without her.

But God knew, and made plans this week for me. I had no idea when I signed up to help with Creative Arts Camp this week, that my sister would be gone. But God knew, and He put that there for me. I spent the week with my children, experiencing God in so many ways. I also was blessed to be with about 150 other children through the week. On my birthday, everywhere I went in that church, some little voice was telling me Happy Birthday. I got hugs from my friends.

God also gave me a very special gift, a visit from one of my very best friends, who doesn't live in Texas anymore. God very much orchestrated her schedule, so that she would be here for several days and we were able to spend some time together.

The day was complete when I spent time with my parents eating a yummy ice cream cake, that Johnny, Ryan and Justin served and cleaned up. Then Johnny, the kids, and I went to Joe's Crab Shack for a yummy dinner. I ordered more than I was able to eat, knowing that I was going to be sharing with my boys. Madison slept in my lap most of the time. Chrystal called from Arkansas to wish me Happy Birthday, what a blessing she is! I finished my evening ordering and reading books on my new Nook, a gift from Johnny and the kids, a gift that I've always said "I don't need" but have found that I LOVE it!

So God has taken what was going to be a tough time for me, and put some special gifts in there. Was this past week easy? No. I shed many tears. But I got to see God at work in my life, through songs, skits, art, friends, children, and my own family. I can trust God with this next year, knowing that there will be much sadness, but that He will be there to walk me through it.

No comments: